Pages

Monday 27 June 2011

The waiting game!

Still waiting for my results but I have ordered my gown for the graduation ceremony (on 22nd of July) and the photography service too. Hopefully, the day will be memorable for me and my family. Our course leader gave us an email this week stating we should be able to view our actual results on the 4th July. Not long now but all I have to do is just wait and hope for the best really.

I have been busy preparing myself for two events which I have attended:

1) Summer graduate fair (15th June) - which took place in the Excel centre. The atmosphere was really nice... with lots of people around and I went in very early that day too. I went there just to experience how it would be like as it was my first ever visit to a graduate fair. I had an enjoyable experience with my uni mates with me as well. We were just asking questions to exhibitors and having a laugh too. I would say that Bloomberg and inspiring interns were my favourite on that day. They were really cool! The advice given was really good and obviously it is our responsibility to make those key decisions about our futures.

2) Morgan Stanley (16th June) networking event - this took place in their head office in Canary Wharf. In my own opinion, this event was the best event I have been to. I met up with professional individuals from a variety of backgrounds... finance, law etc. We all had a one to one chat (q and a session) which I found really useful because I approached them with some quick fire questions. This event was part of a mentoring scheme whereby Morgan Stanley staff will use their time to mentor us. I opted to go for this event because it was a valuable opportunity to turn down. They also showed their trading floor where they make money for their clients... it was good.

I had an experienced member of staff from Morgan Stanley who took my details and requested me to send my CV to him. He emailed me back the next day and gave me a full review of my CV and general hints and tips to succeed in the graduate market. He also pointed out that I should have a profile with LinkedIn... which I am in the process of completing. I am just thankful for his help - you simply do not get chances like this to be honest. He said he is happy to help me out even more when I need it! See, networking is important now and you will see the benefit of it when you take part.

I'll finish for now. Thanks for reading people.

No comments:

Post a Comment