Pages

Monday 25 October 2010

Future in Finance Employability Event

The Guidance & Employability Team (GET) gave a presentation in my finance lecture on Monday. This was for the forthcoming Future in Finance employability event. This event is a very rare opportunity for us to meet and talk to managers from Barclays, HSBC, IBM, Royal Mail, Northern Trust, and Investec Asset Management who currently work in accounting and finance jobs. Managers from professional bodies such as ACCA, CIMA and CIPFA will also be there to give advice on professional qualifications and how these can help us in our chosen careers. That is so ideal for me!

In preparation for this event, the GET team run series of workshops to help us students develop and improve our CV. This service runs occasionally - they have drop in sessions and it is on a first come first serve basis. They mentioned in the presentation that this would help us to focus on our strengths and encourage us to think about the areas of accounting and finance that we are most suited to before meeting managers who currently work in these areas.

I am definitely interested in going but have a lot on... A LOT!!! I need to think quickly or otherwise a good opportunity will go begging.

My third year experience to date is not at the level of what I had experienced in my second year simply because there is so much work to do (it is just constant). In truth, I neglected as you know a lot of theory work in my second year and I would say that I got away with it by memorising most of the key points... no jokes. I seriously do not think that I can maintain that approach this year. The best advice I can give to you all is to work out what works well for you. In other words, do you like working with numbers? Do you like theory? Etc. Once you know what suits you best then you can go for your ideal course. I know that it will be hard picking out the right course because you may have to deal with both (as I am currently experiencing). Definitely read the opinions of past and current students that are on your preferred program of study. Read our blogs people!

That is it for now! Enjoy your coming week people!

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment